• About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
No Result
View All Result
CNI
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
    • Business
      • Economy
      • Technology
    • Capitol Briefs
    • Courts
      • Law Enforcement
    • Corruption Cases
      • Madigan Trial
        • Michael Madigan: The Rise and Fall
        • Madigan Trial in Review
      • ComEd 4 Trial
      • Emil Jones Trial
      • Paul La Schiazza Trial
      • Sam McCann Trial
      • Tim Mapes Trial
      • James Weiss Trial
    • Education
    • Environment
      • Agriculture
      • Energy
    • Government
      • Budget
      • Health
      • Immigration
      • Infrastructure
    • Healing Illinois
  • Investigations
    • Police Hiring
    • No Schoolers
    • Funeral Home
    • Culture of Cruelty
  • Elections
    • Election Guide
    • Candidates Questionnaire
    • Primary Results
  • CNI InsiderNew
  • Podcasts
  • About Us
    • News Team
    • Events
    • Careers
    • Privacy
    • Terms
  • Media Center
    • Pressroom
    • Republish Guidelines
    • Press Releases
    • Editorial Independence
    • Conflicts of Interest
    • Code of Ethics
    • Submit News Tip
    • Contact
  • Support Us
    • Support
    • Donors
CNI

Trump freezes $2.1B for Chicago transit projects in latest ‘punishment’ of blue states

Pritzker accuses administration of ‘’holding bipartisan funding hostage’’ to score political points

Maggie DoughertybyMaggie Dougherty
October 3, 2025
in Infrastructure
A A
CTA Red Line

Passengers for the CTA Red Line wait for their train to arrive in 2023. (Capitol News Illinois photo by Andrew Adams)

1.9k
VIEWS
FacebookShareReddit

CHICAGO — The White House on Friday froze $2.1 billion in federal funding for Chicago infrastructure projects in the latest move targeting Democratic cities and states amid the federal government shutdown.

Federal budget director Russ Vought announced on social media that the money has been put on hold “to ensure funding is not flowing via race-based contracting.” He specified that the pause applied to funds earmarked for Chicago’s Red Line extension and Red and Purple Line modernization projects.

In a follow up statement, the U.S. Department of Transportation said it had sent letters to the Chicago Transit Authority to indicate that the two projects were under review to determine the constitutionality of their contracting requirements.

The Chicago Transit Authority confirmed receipt of the letters, saying it was reviewing them late Friday afternoon. Earlier in the day, the Office of the Secretary of Transportation issued a ruling to remove race and sex as elements for inclusion in small business initiatives intended to level the playing field for disadvantaged groups, particularly women and people of color.

The U.S Department of Transit’s statement referenced the Chicago Transit Authority’s past commitment to meeting disadvantaged business contracting goals, with 21% of spending on the Red-Purple Modernization projects going to 119 firms that qualified under the disadvantaged business criteria as of last November.

“Illinois, like New York, is well known to promote race- and sex-based contracting and other racial preferences as a public policy,” the DOT’s statement said. “The American people don’t care what race or gender construction workers, pipefitters, or electricians are. They just want these massive projects finally built quickly and efficiently.”

Illinois Democrats said freezing the funds will cause delays in a Red Line extension project that was expected to bring economic growth.

“This project will expand transit access to 100,000 people. It will be an economic boost for the city and create tens of thousands of jobs for working families,” Sen. Dick Durbin said on the Senate Floor on Friday.

allwyn allwyn allwyn
ADVERTISEMENT

Democratic leadership also called the move a vindictive abuse of power, with Gov. JB Pritzker accusing President Trump of “holding bipartisan funding hostage.”

“It’s attempting to score political points but is instead hurting our economy and the hardworking people who rely on public transit to get to work or school,” Pritzker said in a statement posted on social media.

The funding pause for Chicago projects followed an announcement Wednesday that the administration would withhold $18 billion in funds previously awarded to New York City for major infrastructure projects. The White House also announced Friday that Trump had directed his team to identify potential cuts to federal aid for Portland, Oregon, another Democratic stronghold.

The Chicago Tribune also reported on Thursday that the federal government froze $583 million in funding to Illinois for energy projects. U.S. Sen. Tammy Duckworth said in a statement that 33 projects were canceled, with funds withheld from energy giant Exelon, the University of Illinois and Northwestern University among others.

The funding would have gone to grid reliability projects, carbon capture technology and other grid modernization, according to a spreadsheet released by Duckworth.

“President Donald Trump wants to punish states like Illinois, and the people who live there, because they didn’t vote for him in the last election,” Durbin said from the floor. “Freezing funds for these projects is a blatant abuse of power by a president and an administration that would rather settle petty personal scores than actually help people.”

Illinois Attorney General Kwame Raoul has had some success in court challenging Trump administration cuts to funding that had been allocated by Congress. Recently, he won two injunctions against the administration for trying to withhold funding based on the state’s immigration policies.

Jerry Nowicki contributed to this story.

Maggie Dougherty is a freelance reporter covering the Chicago area. Capitol News Illinois is a nonprofit, nonpartisan news service that distributes state government coverage to hundreds of news outlets statewide. It is funded primarily by the Illinois Press Foundation and the Robert R. McCormick Foundation.

Tags: ChicagoChicago Transit Authority (CTA)Dick DurbinDonald TrumpExelonfederal fundingJB PritzkerKwame RaoulNew York CityNorthwestern UniversityPortlandRuss VoughtTammy DuckworthtransitTrump AdministrationU.S. Department of TransportationUniversity of Illinois
Maggie Dougherty

Maggie Dougherty

Maggie joined CNI in November, 2025 as a Chicago reporter. Maggie is a 2021 graduate of The College of Wooster, where she received her bachelor's degree in international relations and economics, and a 2025 graduate of the Northwestern University Medill School of Journalism, where she received her master's degree in Investigative Journalism.

Related Posts

Prime Inc. semi truck

IDOT targets young engineering talent with student loan assistance

May 15, 2026
484
Craig Norrenberns

As Illinoisans lose federal food assistance, independent grocers face debt, store closure

May 11, 2026
3.7k

Creative Commons License

Republish our articles for free, online or in print, under a Creative Commons license.

Republish this article

Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

When republishing or co-publishing our stories, please copy and paste our tracking code (found at the bottom of the copy below - it includes the words "republication-tracker-tool") anywhere in the body of this article in your website’s content management system. This will let us know how much traffic our story has received. Republishing Guidelines.

Trump freezes $2.1B for Chicago transit projects in latest ‘punishment’ of blue states

by Maggie Dougherty, Capitol News Illinois
October 3, 2025

1
Facebook Twitter Bluesky Soundcloud Instagram Youtube RSS
CNI
2501 Chatham Road, Suite 200
Springfield, IL 62704
editors@capitolnewsillinois.com
 
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Media Center
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use

Capitol News Illinois is a nonprofit, nonpartisan news service covering state government. A service of the Illinois Press Foundation.

SubscribeMore news from the Illinois Statehouse delivered to your inbox.

© 2026 Capitol News Illinois

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Business
      • Economy
      • Technology
    • Capitol Briefs
    • Courts
      • Corruption Cases
      • Law Enforcement
    • Environment
      • Agriculture
      • Energy
    • Government
      • Budget
      • Education
      • Health
      • Immigration
      • Infrastructure
    • Healing Illinois
  • Investigations
    • Police Hiring
    • No Schoolers
    • Funeral Home
    • Culture of Cruelty
  • Elections
    • Election Guide
    • Candidates Questionnaire
    • Primary Results
  • Capitol News Insider
  • Podcasts
  • About
  • Media
  • Support
  • Subscribe

© 2026 Capitol News Illinois