• About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Thursday, May 21, 2026
No Result
View All Result
CNI
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
    • Business
      • Economy
      • Technology
    • Capitol Briefs
    • Courts
      • Law Enforcement
    • Corruption Cases
      • Madigan Trial
        • Michael Madigan: The Rise and Fall
        • Madigan Trial in Review
      • ComEd 4 Trial
      • Emil Jones Trial
      • Paul La Schiazza Trial
      • Sam McCann Trial
      • Tim Mapes Trial
      • James Weiss Trial
    • Education
    • Environment
      • Agriculture
      • Energy
    • Government
      • Budget
      • Health
      • Immigration
      • Infrastructure
    • Healing Illinois
  • Investigations
    • Police Hiring
    • No Schoolers
    • Funeral Home
    • Culture of Cruelty
  • Elections
    • Election Guide
    • Candidates Questionnaire
    • Primary Results
  • CNI InsiderNew
  • Podcasts
  • About Us
    • News Team
    • Events
    • Careers
    • Privacy
    • Terms
  • Media Center
    • Pressroom
    • Republish Guidelines
    • Press Releases
    • Editorial Independence
    • Conflicts of Interest
    • Code of Ethics
    • Submit News Tip
    • Contact
  • Support Us
    • Support
    • Donors
CNI

States say paperwork tied to $10B funding freeze is an intentionally ‘impossible task’

Letters sent to the state cite unspecific claims of fraud and demand large amounts of documents to justify receiving benefits

Nikoel HytrekUIS Public Affairs Reporting (PAR)byNikoel HytrekandUIS Public Affairs Reporting (PAR)
January 16, 2026
in Budget, Government
A A
Highlighted text; As Defendants know, that is an impossible task on an impossible timeline, offered only as pretext to maintain the freeze against Plaintiff States.

An excerpt of the lawsuit filed by five states against the federal government for its plan to freeze $10 billion in funding that helps to ensure access to child care. (Illustration by Capitol News Illinois, highlight added)

1k
VIEWS
FacebookShareReddit

Article Summary

  • Attorney General Kwame Raoul and the attorneys general of four other states filed a lawsuit after the Trump administration in early January announced a freeze on $10 billion for child care and family services programs
  • A federal judge in the Southern District of New York halted the freeze until Jan. 23.
  • Raoul and the Illinois Department of Human Services assert that Illinois does regular reviews and audits of state programs. When fraud is reported, there are specific procedures to investigate.
  • The government demanded four to six years’ worth of documents about every organization that received funds from the state. Some of those would have included personal information like addresses and Social Security numbers.
  • The Administration for Children and Families gave Illinois and four other states two weeks to provide most of the information.

This summary was written by the reporters and editors who worked on this story.

When the Illinois attorney general on Jan. 9 sued the Trump administration for freezing $1 billion in child care funding for Illinois, he said the freeze came with no real accusations or proof of fraud and accused the administration of making unreasonable requests for documents targeting Democratic-led states.

The Trump administration says it’s aiming to combat fraud in social services. But the five blue states targeted in the freeze say it’s a political move, that they already protect against  fraud, and the administration intentionally gave them “an impossible task on an impossible timeline.”

Attorney General Kwame Raoul joined the four other states — California, Colorado, Minnesota and New York — to secure a temporary restraining order against Health and Human Services and its Administration for Children and Families division last week.

A restraining order, granted by Judge Arun Subramanian in the Southern District of New York, expires on Jan. 23. The parties now seek to prove in court that the administration’s freezing of funds was unlawful and its request for years of documentation to have funds released is an unreasonable one with political motivations.

“Congress has created statutory schemes that constrain the executive branch in how it can identify and sanction noncompliance or fraud by recipients of the ACF Funds. The statutes are clear, and do not permit the ‘shoot first ask questions later’ approach Defendants have taken; Defendants have performed none of the elements of these statutory processes,” the lawsuit states.

“Let’s also be clear that the president’s actions have nothing to do with fraud,” Raoul said in a Jan. 9 news conference. “My office regularly works to investigate and prosecute individuals who defraud Illinois taxpayers.”

Fraud investigations

Online, there are multiple ways to report fraud to the Illinois Department of Human Services, which is the agency that administers federal child care program money. There’s also a way to report fraud to the Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services.

allwyn allwyn allwyn
ADVERTISEMENT

Both also have fraud hotlines.

“IDHS is engaged in ongoing, regular reviews and auditing of organizations that receive state and federal funding as standard protocol,” the department said in an email.

There are also ways to report fraud to the federal government online, and through a hotline.

The Administration for Children and Families initially said the child care funds would be frozen until the agency received and reviewed documents from the five states.

The freeze came in the wake of a wide-ranging fraud scandal in Minnesota that’s led to dozens of people being convicted in schemes involving over $1 billion in funds. The states contend the Trump administration seized on that scandal and exaggerated characterizations of it in right-wing media reports as justification for the five-state freeze.

The documents the feds requested

Illinois received three letters on Jan. 6 laying out which documents were required for three separate programs targeted in the freeze. Each letter cited concerns that Illinois was providing benefits to immigrants lacking permanent legal status, but none provided proof.

“These concerns have been heightened by recent federal prosecutions and additional allegations that substantial portions of federal resources were fraudulently diverted away from the American families they were intended to assist,” the letters say.

Read more: Illinois Child Care and Development Fund letter | Social Services Block Grant letter | Temporary Assistance for Needy Families letter

The five states rejected that assertion in their lawsuit.

“As Defendants know, that is an impossible task on an impossible timeline, offered only as pretext to maintain the freeze against Plaintiff States,” the lawsuit states.

For the Child Care Development fund, the Administration for Children and Families is asking for the documented attendance for subsidized child care services, which include the days and hours when care is provided as well as payment information. The administration said it will use the data to decide whether the money the state gets is “‘reasonable, allowable, and allocable.’”

The requirements for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, or TANF, and the Social Services Block Grant, or SSBG, programs targeted in the freeze are more detailed and ask for the same types of documentation for three areas.

First, the TANF and SSBG letters require Illinois to provide the “complete universe” of administrative data that exist for every program recipient from at least 2022-2025. Raoul estimates that hundreds of thousands of Illinoisans receive aid from these programs.

The letters ask for a recipient’s name, address, date of birth, Social Security number (if collected), the recipient’s Alien Registration Number (if applicable) and any other state ID the person uses for the program.

Second, the letters ask for documentation that shows Illinois has verified the eligibility of applicants and recipients. Only U.S. citizens and “qualified aliens” are eligible for the programs. The letter asks Illinois to include the “policies, procedures, system controls, and verification records” the state uses to confirm a person’s status.

Third, the letters request a full list of “all organizations, subcontractors, service providers, local agencies, community groups, and any other entities” that received program funds from Illinois from 2019-2025. The administration requested information for each organization about the amount of funding provided, the purpose of the award that was provided and documentation about how Illinois oversees the use of the money.

The administration gave the states until Jan. 20 to submit the information for the TANF and SSBG funds.

“In short, Defendants have publicly stoked allegations of fraud, including Plaintiff States purportedly providing unlawful benefits to undocumented immigrants, regardless of whether they have been substantiated, and used those speculative allegations as a pretextual justification to punish perceived political enemies of the Trump Administration by unlawfully withholding critical funding pending purported fraud detection measures unauthorized by any statute,” the lawsuit states.

In a news release announcing the freeze, the administration said the action against Illinois and the other four states is part of a nationwide system, even though only five states were targeted.

Capitol News Illinois is a nonprofit, nonpartisan news service that distributes state government coverage to hundreds of news outlets statewide. It is funded primarily by the Illinois Press Foundation and the Robert R. McCormick Foundation

Tags: Arun Subramanianchild careChild Care Development Fund (CCDF)Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services (IDHFS)Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS)Kwame RaoulSocial Services Block Grant (SSBG)Southern District of New YorkTemporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
Nikoel Hytrek

Nikoel Hytrek

Nikoel Hytrek is a student in the Public Affairs Reporting master’s degree program at University of Illinois Springfield.

UIS Public Affairs Reporting (PAR)

UIS Public Affairs Reporting (PAR)

The Public Affairs Reporting (PAR) master's program is offered by the School of Communication and Media at the University of Illinois-Springfield. The program trains students to become journalists who produce intelligent news coverage that helps audiences understand government, politics and other public affairs.

Related Posts

Close up of two hands holding a Glock pistol.

Illinois lawmakers considering ban on guns like Glocks

May 21, 2026
0
Graciela Guzmán

‘Junk fee’ ban heads to Pritzker as Senate OKs bill allowing minors to consent to birth control

May 20, 2026
116

Creative Commons License

Republish our articles for free, online or in print, under a Creative Commons license.

Republish this article

Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

When republishing or co-publishing our stories, please copy and paste our tracking code (found at the bottom of the copy below - it includes the words "republication-tracker-tool") anywhere in the body of this article in your website’s content management system. This will let us know how much traffic our story has received. Republishing Guidelines.

States say paperwork tied to $10B funding freeze is an intentionally ‘impossible task’

by Nikoel Hytrek and UIS Public Affairs Reporting (PAR), Capitol News Illinois
January 16, 2026

1
Facebook Twitter Bluesky Soundcloud Instagram Youtube RSS
CNI
2501 Chatham Road, Suite 200
Springfield, IL 62704
editors@capitolnewsillinois.com
 
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Media Center
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use

Capitol News Illinois is a nonprofit, nonpartisan news service covering state government. A service of the Illinois Press Foundation.

SubscribeMore news from the Illinois Statehouse delivered to your inbox.

© 2026 Capitol News Illinois

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Business
      • Economy
      • Technology
    • Capitol Briefs
    • Courts
      • Corruption Cases
      • Law Enforcement
    • Environment
      • Agriculture
      • Energy
    • Government
      • Budget
      • Education
      • Health
      • Immigration
      • Infrastructure
    • Healing Illinois
  • Investigations
    • Police Hiring
    • No Schoolers
    • Funeral Home
    • Culture of Cruelty
  • Elections
    • Election Guide
    • Candidates Questionnaire
    • Primary Results
  • Capitol News Insider
  • Podcasts
  • About
  • Media
  • Support
  • Subscribe

© 2026 Capitol News Illinois