• About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Thursday, May 21, 2026
No Result
View All Result
CNI
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
    • Business
      • Economy
      • Technology
    • Capitol Briefs
    • Courts
      • Law Enforcement
    • Corruption Cases
      • Madigan Trial
        • Michael Madigan: The Rise and Fall
        • Madigan Trial in Review
      • ComEd 4 Trial
      • Emil Jones Trial
      • Paul La Schiazza Trial
      • Sam McCann Trial
      • Tim Mapes Trial
      • James Weiss Trial
    • Education
    • Environment
      • Agriculture
      • Energy
    • Government
      • Budget
      • Health
      • Immigration
      • Infrastructure
    • Healing Illinois
  • Investigations
    • Police Hiring
    • No Schoolers
    • Funeral Home
    • Culture of Cruelty
  • Elections
    • Election Guide
    • Candidates Questionnaire
    • Primary Results
  • CNI InsiderNew
  • Podcasts
  • About Us
    • News Team
    • Events
    • Careers
    • Privacy
    • Terms
  • Media Center
    • Pressroom
    • Republish Guidelines
    • Press Releases
    • Editorial Independence
    • Conflicts of Interest
    • Code of Ethics
    • Submit News Tip
    • Contact
  • Support Us
    • Support
    • Donors
CNI

Illinois State Board of Education wants to revamp how it counts low-income students

Number of families receiving federal benefits such as Medicaid and SNAP is declining

Peter HancockbyPeter Hancock
May 1, 2026
in Government
A A
students and teacher

Changes in federal eligibility rules for aid programs like SNAP, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, could create new budget pressures for Illinois school districts that serve large numbers of low-income students. (Capitol News Illinois photo by Peter Hancock)

787
VIEWS
FacebookShareReddit

Article Summary

  • The state Board of Education says it needs a more accurate count of low-income students as participation in federal assistance programs declines.
  • Changes to SNAP and Medicaid eligibility are seen as possible reasons for the drop in low-income numbers.
  • Changes could have a direct impact on the amount of state funding school districts receive through the Evidence-Based Funding formula.

This summary was written by the reporters and editors who worked on this story.

SPRINGFIELD — The Illinois State Board of Education is asking lawmakers this year for $200,000 to develop a new way of counting low-income students.

Although that’s only a small fraction of the overall $10.9 billion general revenue fund budget the agency is seeking to fund preK-12 public schools next year, the request points to a larger issue that public schools could be facing over the next several years as the number of students officially counted as “low-income” is expected to drop.

That’s because Illinois currently counts low-income students based on their enrollment in federal support programs, including Medicaid, the Children’s Health Insurance Program, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families and the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP.

However, under new eligibility rules that were part of the federal budget law Congress passed last year known as H.R. 1, or the “One Big Beautiful Bill Act,” the number of people enrolled in those programs is expected to decline.

Those include changes to SNAP eligibility that went into effect May 1 that disqualify many groups of noncitizens and impose new work requirements on many able-bodied adults.

Although the rules mainly affect adults and therefore aren’t expected to have an immediate impact on students, officials believe they could eventually cause entire households to become unenrolled in federal aid programs, resulting in fewer children being enrolled as well in future years.

“We believe we have time to come up with an alternative method,” Robin Steans, executive director of the education research and advocacy group Advance Illinois, said in an interview.

allwyn allwyn allwyn
ADVERTISEMENT

The changes in federal eligibility rules for Medicaid, SNAP and other federal programs could have a direct impact on the amount of state funding many districts receive through the Evidence-Based Funding formula.

That’s the formula that lawmakers adopted in 2017 that calls for $300 million in additional funding for public schools each year, with the bulk of that money earmarked for the least adequately funded districts.

The formula uses several factors to determine an “adequacy target” for each district, including the number of teachers and paraprofessionals a district needs based on its enrollment and demographic factors.

For example, for kindergarten through third-grade classes, the statute says each district should receive funding for one full-time equivalent teacher for 15 low-income students, and one for every 20 non-low-income students. For grades 4-12, the formula calls for one teacher for every 20 low-income students and one for every 25 non-low-income students.

According to data from the state’s 2025 report card, there were just over 1.8 million students enrolled in Illinois public schools during the 2024-25 school year. Of those, 49.7%, or 933,470, were classified as low-income.

The highest concentration of low-income students for any single district was in Carbon Cliff-Barstow School District 36, in the Quad Cities region, which reported 100% of its students qualified as low-income. Lake Forest School District 67, in Lake County, reported only 1.3% of its students were low-income.

Although many observers say they do not expect the changes in eligibility rules to have an immediate impact on districts’ official poverty rates, they do note that overall enrollment in Medicaid and SNAP has been declining in recent years, for reasons they say they cannot yet explain.

According to data from the Illinois Department of Human Services, fewer than 1.7 million people in the state were receiving SNAP benefits in March 2026. That’s down 13.7% from a year earlier, and 17.8% from March 2023.

Likewise, according to the Department of Healthcare and Family Services, Medicaid enrollment in Illinois in fiscal year 2025, at 3.26 million, was down 5.7% compared to the year before, and 18% lower than it was in fiscal year 2023.

“It’s the right time for the state to explore (other methodologies),” Steans said, noting that the declining enrollment rates “don’t comport with our lived experiences.”

Capitol News Illinois is a nonprofit, nonpartisan news service covering state governinment that is distributed to more than 400 newspapers statewide. It is funded primarily by the Illinois Press Foundation and the Robert R. McCormick Foundation.

Tags: Advance IllinoisBarstowCarbon CliffChildren’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)Evidence-Based Funding (EBF)federal fundingIllinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services (IDHFS)Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS)Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE)Lake Forestlow income householdsMedicaidSNAPSpringfieldSupplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
Peter Hancock

Peter Hancock

Peter was one of the founding reporters with Capitol News Illinois. He came to Springfield after many years working in Topeka, Kansas, where he covered the Kansas statehouse and other beats. He began his reporting career in 1989 at a small county weekly newspaper and has worked in a variety of settings including both daily and nondaily newspapers, online media and public radio. A native of the Kansas City area, he has degrees in political science and education from the University of Kansas.

Related Posts

Close up of two hands holding a Glock pistol.

Illinois lawmakers considering ban on guns like Glocks

May 21, 2026
0
Graciela Guzmán

‘Junk fee’ ban heads to Pritzker as Senate OKs bill allowing minors to consent to birth control

May 20, 2026
116

Creative Commons License

Republish our articles for free, online or in print, under a Creative Commons license.

Republish this article

Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

When republishing or co-publishing our stories, please copy and paste our tracking code (found at the bottom of the copy below - it includes the words "republication-tracker-tool") anywhere in the body of this article in your website’s content management system. This will let us know how much traffic our story has received. Republishing Guidelines.

Illinois State Board of Education wants to revamp how it counts low-income students

by Peter Hancock, Capitol News Illinois
May 1, 2026

1
Facebook Twitter Bluesky Soundcloud Instagram Youtube RSS
CNI
2501 Chatham Road, Suite 200
Springfield, IL 62704
editors@capitolnewsillinois.com
 
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Media Center
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use

Capitol News Illinois is a nonprofit, nonpartisan news service covering state government. A service of the Illinois Press Foundation.

SubscribeMore news from the Illinois Statehouse delivered to your inbox.

© 2026 Capitol News Illinois

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Business
      • Economy
      • Technology
    • Capitol Briefs
    • Courts
      • Corruption Cases
      • Law Enforcement
    • Environment
      • Agriculture
      • Energy
    • Government
      • Budget
      • Education
      • Health
      • Immigration
      • Infrastructure
    • Healing Illinois
  • Investigations
    • Police Hiring
    • No Schoolers
    • Funeral Home
    • Culture of Cruelty
  • Elections
    • Election Guide
    • Candidates Questionnaire
    • Primary Results
  • Capitol News Insider
  • Podcasts
  • About
  • Media
  • Support
  • Subscribe

© 2026 Capitol News Illinois