• About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Thursday, May 21, 2026
No Result
View All Result
CNI
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
    • Business
      • Economy
      • Technology
    • Capitol Briefs
    • Courts
      • Law Enforcement
    • Corruption Cases
      • Madigan Trial
        • Michael Madigan: The Rise and Fall
        • Madigan Trial in Review
      • ComEd 4 Trial
      • Emil Jones Trial
      • Paul La Schiazza Trial
      • Sam McCann Trial
      • Tim Mapes Trial
      • James Weiss Trial
    • Education
    • Environment
      • Agriculture
      • Energy
    • Government
      • Budget
      • Health
      • Immigration
      • Infrastructure
    • Healing Illinois
  • Investigations
    • Police Hiring
    • No Schoolers
    • Funeral Home
    • Culture of Cruelty
  • Elections
    • Election Guide
    • Candidates Questionnaire
    • Primary Results
  • CNI InsiderNew
  • Podcasts
  • About Us
    • News Team
    • Events
    • Careers
    • Privacy
    • Terms
  • Media Center
    • Pressroom
    • Republish Guidelines
    • Press Releases
    • Editorial Independence
    • Conflicts of Interest
    • Code of Ethics
    • Submit News Tip
    • Contact
  • Support Us
    • Support
    • Donors
CNI

Illinois joins lawsuit to force federal government not to pause SNAP benefits

Nearly 2M Illinoisans could lose benefits as federal shutdown continues

Ben SzalinskibyBen Szalinski
October 28, 2025
in Courts
A A
Kwame Raoul

Illinois Attorney General listens during a May House floor debate of a bill subjecting gun dealers and manufacturers to civil action if they use deceptive marketing practices. (Capitol News Illinois photo by Jerry Nowicki)

3.1k
VIEWS
FacebookShareReddit

Article Summary

  • Illinois is one of 25 states suing the U.S. Department of Agriculture over plans to pause benefits for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program on Saturday.
  • The USDA has said November SNAP benefits will not be paid if the government remains shut down into next month.
  • Nearly 2 million people in Illinois receive SNAP benefits each month.
  • The lawsuit argues Congress has appropriated contingency funds the USDA can use to continue paying SNAP benefits in November.

This summary was written by the reporters and editors who worked on this story.

Illinois joined 24 other states and the District of Columbia in suing the Trump administration over plans to stop funding the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program on Saturday as the federal government shutdown continues.

About 1.9 million people in Illinois, and about 42 million people across the country, depend on SNAP benefits, otherwise known as food stamps, each month. The state administers $350 million in SNAP benefits each month to low-income or other qualifying individuals, according to the Illinois Department of Human Services. Forty-five percent of SNAP households include children, and 44% include a person with a disability.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture announced earlier this month that it will not have money to pay SNAP benefits in November if the government remains shut down on Nov. 1. The U.S. House is not scheduled to be in session this week, meaning SNAP funding is certain to run out at the end of the month.

The government shutdown began on Oct. 1.

Read more: Nearly 2 million Illinoisians set to lose SNAP benefits amid congressional stalemate

The lawsuit argues the USDA does have money to continue paying benefits in November. It claims Congress has appropriated contingency funds for emergencies such as a government shutdown that USDA can tap into now to continue funding SNAP.

“At a time of increased costs for families, the Trump administration is making a deliberate, illegal and cruel decision to cut off access to food for nearly 2 million Illinoisans,” Attorney General Kwame Raoul said in a statement.

allwyn allwyn allwyn
ADVERTISEMENT

Gov. JB Pritzker said last week the state is looking at ways to help people affected by the program’s pause, but options are limited because the federal government pays all the benefits for the program.

President Donald Trump’s decision to continue paying certain groups of federal works while programs like SNAP have been stopped has angered many Democrats. The president said a mystery donor — later revealed to be Timothy Mellon, an heir to the influential Mellon family — is giving $130 million to pay the military during the shutdown.

It’s not clear when Congress will be back in session as the parties remain at odds over health care funding. The shutdown will become the longest in U.S. history if it extends beyond Nov. 4, breaking the record of another shutdown that began in 2018 during Trump’s first term.

 

Capitol News Illinois is a nonprofit, nonpartisan news service that distributes state government coverage to hundreds of news outlets statewide. It is funded primarily by the Illinois Press Foundation and the Robert R. McCormick Foundation.

Tags: Donald Trumpgovernment shutdown 2025Illinois Department of Human ServicesJB PritzkerKwame RaoulSupplemental Nutrition Assistance ProgramU.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)
Ben Szalinski

Ben Szalinski

Ben joined CNI in November 2024 as a Statehouse reporter covering the General Assembly from Springfield and other events happening around state government. He previously covered Illinois government for The Daily Line following time in McHenry County with the Northwest Herald. Ben is also a graduate of the University of Illinois Springfield PAR program. He is a lifelong Illinois resident and is originally from Mundelein.

Related Posts

Katherine “Kat” Abughazaleh

Remaining ‘Broadview Six’ protesters set for rare federal misdemeanor trial next week

May 18, 2026
518
Dirksen Federal Courthouse

Tech giants sued over ‘stealing’ voices of well-known journalists, voice actors to train AI

May 15, 2026
856

Creative Commons License

Republish our articles for free, online or in print, under a Creative Commons license.

Republish this article

Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

When republishing or co-publishing our stories, please copy and paste our tracking code (found at the bottom of the copy below - it includes the words "republication-tracker-tool") anywhere in the body of this article in your website’s content management system. This will let us know how much traffic our story has received. Republishing Guidelines.

Illinois joins lawsuit to force federal government not to pause SNAP benefits

by Ben Szalinski, Capitol News Illinois
October 28, 2025

1
Facebook Twitter Bluesky Soundcloud Instagram Youtube RSS
CNI
2501 Chatham Road, Suite 200
Springfield, IL 62704
editors@capitolnewsillinois.com
 
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Media Center
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use

Capitol News Illinois is a nonprofit, nonpartisan news service covering state government. A service of the Illinois Press Foundation.

SubscribeMore news from the Illinois Statehouse delivered to your inbox.

© 2026 Capitol News Illinois

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Business
      • Economy
      • Technology
    • Capitol Briefs
    • Courts
      • Corruption Cases
      • Law Enforcement
    • Environment
      • Agriculture
      • Energy
    • Government
      • Budget
      • Education
      • Health
      • Immigration
      • Infrastructure
    • Healing Illinois
  • Investigations
    • Police Hiring
    • No Schoolers
    • Funeral Home
    • Culture of Cruelty
  • Elections
    • Election Guide
    • Candidates Questionnaire
    • Primary Results
  • Capitol News Insider
  • Podcasts
  • About
  • Media
  • Support
  • Subscribe

© 2026 Capitol News Illinois