• About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Friday, August 21, 2026
No Result
View All Result
CNI
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
    • Business
      • Economy
      • Technology
    • Capitol Briefs
    • Courts
      • Law Enforcement
    • Corruption Cases
      • Madigan Trial
        • Michael Madigan: The Rise and Fall
        • Madigan Trial in Review
      • ComEd 4 Trial
      • Emil Jones Trial
      • Paul La Schiazza Trial
      • Sam McCann Trial
      • Tim Mapes Trial
      • James Weiss Trial
    • Education
    • Environment
      • Agriculture
      • Energy
    • Government
      • Budget
      • Health
      • Immigration
      • Infrastructure
    • Healing Illinois
  • Investigations
    • Police Hiring
    • No Schoolers
    • Funeral Home
    • Culture of Cruelty
  • Elections
    • Election Guide
    • Candidates Questionnaire
    • Primary Results
  • CNI InsiderNew
  • Podcasts
  • About Us
    • The News Team
    • Events
    • Careers
    • Privacy
    • Terms
  • Media Center
    • Pressroom
    • Republish Guidelines
    • Press Releases
    • Editorial Independence
    • Conflicts of Interest
    • Code of Ethics
    • Submit News Tip
    • Contact
  • Support Us
    • Support
    • Donors
CNI

For Illinois elections officials, no new news is good news

Mueller report contains no new revelations about Russian cyber hack in 2016; security steps taken since

Grant MorganUIS Public Affairs Reporting (PAR)byGrant MorganandUIS Public Affairs Reporting (PAR)
April 25, 2019
in Technology
A A
Cybersecurity

Cybersecurity (Provided)

1.4k
VIEWS
FacebookShareReddit

SPRINGFIELD – Special counsel Robert Mueller’s recently released report on Russian interference in the 2016 election repeated what Illinois already knew: that it suffered the worst election data breach of any state in the country when Russian agents stole the personal information of more than 70,000 voters.

To the Illinois State Board of Elections, that is welcome news.

“I’m reassured, because there was nothing new in the report about what happened in 2016,” SBOE spokesman Matt Dietrich said. “I knew there was potential for Illinois to be mentioned, but I didn’t think there’d be any revelations about it.”

An indictment of 13 Russian operatives last summer was the first public mention of the SBOE website breach. A brief recount of the incident is on Page 50 of the Mueller report released with redactions last week. It details “intrusions” on the “administration of U.S. elections.” Russian hackers accessed voters’ names, addresses, birth dates and the last four digits of their Social Security numbers.

“In one instance in approximately June 2016, the GRU [Russian military intelligence] compromised the computer network of the Illinois State Board of Elections by exploiting a vulnerability in the SBOE’s website,” the Mueller report reads.

While the summary of the hacking incident is unchanged from what was publicly known, the recap is followed by several lines of blacked-out redactions.

“That’s where we would have learned something new,” Dietrich said of the redactions. “We might have seen exactly how the FBI connected Russia with our data breach. But it’s still considered an open investigation, so the feds are not going to let the public know their techniques.”

Dietrich said while the chief concern was identity theft, there has been nothing “out of the ordinary” reported to the elections board since the incident, suggesting nothing was done with the stolen data.

allwyn allwyn allwyn
ADVERTISEMENT

Neither have any local jurisdictions reported cybersecurity problems in the two election cycles since the breach.

Still, with the help of a $13.2 million grant from the federal government last year, the state has taken numerous measures to protect voter data.

Those included hiring nine “cyber navigators” to advise and assess the risk of county election offices, and partnering with the Illinois National Guard to immediately send a cyber expert to any of the state’s 108 local election offices should an incident occur.

That partnership, which cost the SBOE just less than $30,000, expired after the 2018 elections, but Dietrich said the board is considering doing it again.

“The risk is going to be greater in 2020,” Dietrich said. “It’s a presidential election, there’s a lot more at stake, and there will be a higher turnout.”

According to the current state budget, at least half the $13.2 million grant, meanwhile, must be used to pay for the cyber navigator program and the cybersecurity enhancements those experts suggest.

Prior to last November, $2 million of that allotment was spent to reimburse jurisdictions that already paid for their own cybersecurity improvements.

“We don’t know why Illinois was targeted in 2016,” Dietrich said. “The suspicion is that they landed on us, and because they got in, that’s why they were successful.”

 

© Copyright 2019 Capitol News Illinois

Tags: Governmentsort
Grant Morgan

Grant Morgan

Intern ReporterGrant Morgan was the University of Illinois Public Affairs Reporting program intern for Capitol News Illinois from January until June 2019. The program trains students to become journalists who specialize in news coverage of governmental affairs.

UIS Public Affairs Reporting (PAR)

UIS Public Affairs Reporting (PAR)

UIS Public Affairs Reporting (PAR)The Public Affairs Reporting (PAR) master's program is offered by the School of Communication and Media at the University of Illinois-Springfield. The program trains students to become journalists who produce intelligent news coverage that helps audiences understand government, politics and other public affairs.

Related Posts

data center

Data centers emerging as key issue in Illinois governor’s race

August 17, 2026
3.3k
Amazon Web Services data center

PJM’s big new data center plan: Make the states figure it out

August 8, 2026
1.1k

Creative Commons License

Republish our articles for free, online or in print, under a Creative Commons license.

Republish this article

Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

When republishing or co-publishing our stories, please copy and paste our tracking code (found at the bottom of the copy below - it includes the words "republication-tracker-tool") anywhere in the body of this article in your website’s content management system. This will let us know how much traffic our story has received. Republishing Guidelines.

For Illinois elections officials, no new news is good news

by Grant Morgan and UIS Public Affairs Reporting (PAR), Capitol News Illinois
April 25, 2019

Capitol News Illinois
2501 Chatham Road, Suite 200
Springfield, IL 62704
editors@capitolnewsillinois.com
Capitol News Illinois is a nonprofit, nonpartisan news service covering state government. A service of the Illinois Press Foundation.

SubscribeMore news from the Illinois
Statehouse delivered to your
inbox.

  • About
  • Contact
  • Privacy
  • Terms

© 2026 Capitol News Illinois

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Business
      • Economy
      • Technology
    • Capitol Briefs
    • Courts
      • Corruption Cases
      • Law Enforcement
    • Environment
      • Agriculture
      • Energy
    • Government
      • Budget
      • Education
      • Health
      • Immigration
      • Infrastructure
    • Healing Illinois
  • Investigations
    • Police Hiring
    • No Schoolers
    • Funeral Home
    • Culture of Cruelty
  • Elections
    • Election Guide
    • Candidates Questionnaire
    • Primary Results
  • Capitol News Insider
  • Podcasts
  • About
  • Media
  • Support
  • Subscribe

© 2026 Capitol News Illinois