• About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Sunday, May 24, 2026
No Result
View All Result
CNI
Subscribe
  • Home
  • News
    • Business
      • Economy
      • Technology
    • Capitol Briefs
    • Courts
      • Law Enforcement
    • Corruption Cases
      • Madigan Trial
        • Michael Madigan: The Rise and Fall
        • Madigan Trial in Review
      • ComEd 4 Trial
      • Emil Jones Trial
      • Paul La Schiazza Trial
      • Sam McCann Trial
      • Tim Mapes Trial
      • James Weiss Trial
    • Education
    • Environment
      • Agriculture
      • Energy
    • Government
      • Budget
      • Health
      • Immigration
      • Infrastructure
    • Healing Illinois
  • Investigations
    • Police Hiring
    • No Schoolers
    • Funeral Home
    • Culture of Cruelty
  • Elections
    • Election Guide
    • Candidates Questionnaire
    • Primary Results
  • CNI InsiderNew
  • Podcasts
  • About Us
    • News Team
    • Events
    • Careers
    • Privacy
    • Terms
  • Media Center
    • Pressroom
    • Republish Guidelines
    • Press Releases
    • Editorial Independence
    • Conflicts of Interest
    • Code of Ethics
    • Submit News Tip
    • Contact
  • Support Us
    • Support
    • Donors
CNI

Defamation case linked to former Madigan aide sent back to Illinois

Brian Hynes seeks damages after being sued in false claims case

Peter HancockbyPeter Hancock
April 1, 2024
in Courts
A A
Dirksen Federal Courthouse

The Dirksen Federal Courthouse in Chicago. (Capitol News Illinois photo by Hannah Meisel)

1.5k
VIEWS
FacebookShareReddit

SPRINGFIELD – A federal judge in Puerto Rico last week told a politically connected former state contractor that if he wants to sue for defamation against the people who’ve accused him of defrauding the state of Illinois, he’ll have to do so in an Illinois courtroom.

U.S. District Judge Silvia Carreño-Coll issued that order Monday, formally transferring a defamation case from Puerto Rico to the Northern District of Illinois following the recommendation of a magistrate judge in San Juan who said there was no legal justification for keeping the case in Puerto Rico.

“Not a single one of the Defendants resides in, conduct business in, or has anything to do with, Puerto Rico,” Magistrate Judge Marshal Morgan wrote in a March 15 report.

The case involves Brian Hynes, a Chicago-based lawyer and one-time protégé of former Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan, who maintains a residence in Puerto Rico. Hynes has operated lobbying and business entities over the years that work with the state of Illinois and the city of Chicago.

The entity at the center of the defamation case is Vendor Assistance Program LLC, or VAP, a company he set up to take part in a program the state has used to pay its bills during periods of tight cash flow. It was used extensively during the 2015-2017 budget impasse under former Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner.

Under that program, private financial firms like VAP would purchase unpaid bills that the state owed its vendors. The vendors would receive the money owed to them and the financial firms were paid interest of 1 percent per month, or 12 percent annually.

During a nine-month period in 2018, the Chicago Tribune reported, Comptroller Susana Mendoza’s office issued more than $133 million in late-payment interest penalties to VAP. During that same period, campaign finance records show, another of Hynes’ business entities associated with VAP – Bluestone Capital Markets LLC – contributed $22,200 to Mendoza’s campaign committee.

Hynes, VAP and Bluestone are all named as defendants in a lawsuit currently pending in Cook County Circuit Court that alleges Hynes and his companies should not have been allowed to profit from the program because they violated several of its rules.

allwyn allwyn allwyn
ADVERTISEMENT

That suit was filed under the Illinois False Claims Act in 2021 by two other Chicago lawyers, Michael Forde and Michael Leonard. That’s a law that allows, under certain circumstances, private individuals to bring civil actions against people or entities that file false or fraudulent claims with the state or any of its municipalities.

Also named in the suit are two other VAP-affiliated entities, Greysand Finance LLC and Greysand Capital LLC.

The suit does not allege a specific dollar amount that Hynes and his companies allegedly received through improper means, but it is believed they purchased roughly $2.5 billion worth of state debt while they participated in the program, with interest on that debt totaling in the hundreds of millions of dollars.

If successful in their False Claims Act suit, Forde and Leonard stand to receive 25 to 30 percent of the state’s award.

The suit was originally filed under seal because the False Claims Act gives the attorney general’s office a sort of right of first refusal, meaning it can opt to take the case itself or decline to take the case, in which case the private individuals can pursue it.

In this case, Attorney General Kwame Raoul declined to take the case, so the seal was lifted and information about the case became public.

Chicago public radio station WBEZ first reported on the lawsuit in April 2022 as part of an investigative reporting project with the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press.

But Hynes now claims in his own suit that attorneys Forde and Leonard leaked information about the case to reporters while the case was still under seal, and that much of the information they leaked was false and defamatory to him and his businesses.

Hynes filed his suit in March 2023 in federal district court in Puerto Rico, where he maintains a residence and where Bluestone is headquartered.

In her ruling Monday, however, Judge Carreño-Coll transferred the case to the Dirksen Federal Courthouse in Chicago, just blocks away from where the False Claims Act case is pending in Cook County Circuit Court.

Capitol News Illinois is a nonprofit, nonpartisan news service covering state government. It is distributed to hundreds of newspapers, radio and TV stations statewide. It is funded primarily by the Illinois Press Foundation and the Robert R. McCormick Foundation, along with major contributions from the Illinois Broadcasters Foundation and Southern Illinois Editorial Association.

Tags: Brian HynescorruptionCourtsdefamationfraudMichael MadiganPuerto RicoSusana Mendoza
Peter Hancock

Peter Hancock

Peter was one of the founding reporters with Capitol News Illinois. He came to Springfield after many years working in Topeka, Kansas, where he covered the Kansas statehouse and other beats. He began his reporting career in 1989 at a small county weekly newspaper and has worked in a variety of settings including both daily and nondaily newspapers, online media and public radio. A native of the Kansas City area, he has degrees in political science and education from the University of Kansas.

Related Posts

Michael Rabbitt and Sarah

After misconduct accusation in ‘Broadview 6’ case, former lead prosecutor fired from new D.C. job

May 22, 2026
720
Katherine “Kat” Abughazaleh

‘Broadview 6’ trial canceled as prosecutors acknowledge misconduct before grand jury

May 21, 2026
3.4k

Creative Commons License

Republish our articles for free, online or in print, under a Creative Commons license.

Republish this article

Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

When republishing or co-publishing our stories, please copy and paste our tracking code (found at the bottom of the copy below - it includes the words "republication-tracker-tool") anywhere in the body of this article in your website’s content management system. This will let us know how much traffic our story has received. Republishing Guidelines.

Defamation case linked to former Madigan aide sent back to Illinois

by Peter Hancock, Capitol News Illinois
April 1, 2024

1
Facebook Twitter Bluesky Soundcloud Instagram Youtube RSS
CNI
2501 Chatham Road, Suite 200
Springfield, IL 62704
editors@capitolnewsillinois.com
 
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Media Center
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Use

Capitol News Illinois is a nonprofit, nonpartisan news service covering state government. A service of the Illinois Press Foundation.

SubscribeMore news from the Illinois Statehouse delivered to your inbox.

© 2026 Capitol News Illinois

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
    • Business
      • Economy
      • Technology
    • Capitol Briefs
    • Courts
      • Corruption Cases
      • Law Enforcement
    • Environment
      • Agriculture
      • Energy
    • Government
      • Budget
      • Education
      • Health
      • Immigration
      • Infrastructure
    • Healing Illinois
  • Investigations
    • Police Hiring
    • No Schoolers
    • Funeral Home
    • Culture of Cruelty
  • Elections
    • Election Guide
    • Candidates Questionnaire
    • Primary Results
  • Capitol News Insider
  • Podcasts
  • About
  • Media
  • Support
  • Subscribe

© 2026 Capitol News Illinois